[Linganth] How to find recordings of backchannel responses/ phatics?

Gregory D Morton gmorton at ccny.cuny.edu
Tue May 30 18:36:21 UTC 2023

Dear linguistic anthropology community,

                    Good afternoon-and thank you for taking the time to consider this!

                        Recently, I got an interesting request. My uncle, who is a music composer, is hoping to work with sounds that might be considered backchannel responses, phatic expressions, or filler. He would like to find recordings of these. Any language is fine, and, in fact, I think linguistic diversity would be great.

                        Does anyone know where he might be able to get recordings like this?

                  Let me paste his idea here:

John Morton, a composer based in New York, is seeking audio recordings and samples of "backchannel" - grunts, conversational acknowledgements and mono-syllabic phatic utterances, for an upcoming sound installation project.  Referrals to specific collections, libraries, or linguistic projects are welcome. The audio should be of good quality and may be extracted or part of longer phrases or conversations.  Thank you.
John Morton
jmorton890 at gmail.com<mailto:jmorton890 at gmail.com>
website: jmorton.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__jmorton.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=4NmamNZG3KTnUCoC6InoLJ6KV1tbVKrkZXHRwtIMGmo&r=69av901FP-1lrvz7KFFgBnIHah8cJTS4SNoy1jAeI4o&m=i0kDN246_52x9PQiN863fAqsD9Kn466C-rMeXjx9q20aPmxNUjCwCLaw-DDSDyFJ&s=0mdvtgTE6ZpafBaTLOx37fS8yH6SuMU0JPLVka-p1Fc&e=>

                 He really appreciates this, and so do I. Thank you for taking the time to consider it!

                                             Sending good wishes,

                                                                                 -Duff