[Linganth] Please Circulate: Symposium About Language and Society at Austin (SALSA) on 1/19

Carolina Rodriguez Alzza rodriguez.alzza at utexas.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:56:10 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I am one of the Co-Chairs of the annual Symposium About Language and
Society at Austin (SALSA). The conference is being revived in January of
2024 after a hiatus due to COVID. I want to invite you to submit your
papers for SALSA 2024 due by November 1, 2023. Please share this call
with members of your department.

Best,
Carolina Rodriguez Alzza

--

Symposium About Language and Society, Austin (SALSA):

January 19-20, 2024

The University of Texas at Austin

Keynote Speaker:

Dr. Tulio Bermúdez Mejía (University of Chicago)

The Symposium About Language and Society, Austin (SALSA) is an annual
conference that brings together scholars from around the world who study
the social life of language. We are now accepting submissions for SALSA
XXVIII, which will take place January 19-20, 2024. The deadline for
submissions is November 1, 2023.

One panel at this year’s conference will be devoted to the theme “Speech
Play and Verbal Art.” For the other panels, we welcome papers on any topic
concerning the use of language in social life. Potential topics include,
but are not limited to:

   -

   Language and social interaction
   -

   Gesture and embodiment
   -

   Language ideologies
   -

   Semiotics
   -

   New media and AI
   -

   Language policy and planning

   -

   Language documentation and revitalization
   -

   Raciolinguistics
   -

   Multilingualism and language contact
   -

   Political communication
   -

   Language and posthumanism

If you would like to submit your paper for consideration on the thematic
panel, please indicate so on your proposal. If your proposal is not
accepted to the thematic panel, you will still be considered for the
conference as a whole.

Submission Guidelines

The deadline for abstract submission is November 1, 2023.

Please send abstracts of no more than 300 words as an attachment to
salsa.austin.tx at gmail.com

Subject: SALSA XXVIII Abstract

Please include the following in your email message but NOT in the abstract
(with the exception of title, which should appear in both):

   -

   Paper Title
   -

   Author's name (if more than one author, list primary author first
   followed by subsequent authors)
   -

   Consideration for thematic panel?:   Yes ___       No ___
   -

   Author(s) affiliation
   -

   E-mail address at which author prefers to be contacted
   -

   Font: Times New Roman, size 12; 1.5 inter-line spacing
   -

   Equipment required for presentation

For more information, see https://sites.utexas.edu/salsa/

Questions can be sent to salsa.austin.tx at gmail.com

Conference Organizers

The conference is presented by the SALSA Graduate Student Organization at
UT-Austin, co-chaired by Carolina Rodriguez Alzza and Alma Flores-Pérez.

SALSA

University of Texas at Austin

Department of Anthropology

William C. Powers (WCP) 4.1144