[Linganth] Call for Papers: Localizing hallyu Special Issue

Mie Hiramoto mieh at hawaii.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:48:05 UTC 2024

Hello Linganth listserv management team,

Could you please send out the below CFP announcement? This serves as a
reminder of our previous message.

Thank you! Mie (and Joy)
__________________

[Reminder: Deadline, April 30, 2024]

Dear colleagues,

We are currently seeking contributions for a special issue tentatively
titled “Localizing *hallyu*: The semiotics of the Korean wave in media and
discourse.” Please find further information below.

**Please distribute widely**

*Call for Papers*

Localizing *hallyu*: The semiotics of the Korean wave in media and
discourse (working title)

*Guest editors*

Joyhanna Yoo (California State University, Sacramento) and Mie Hiramoto
(National University of Singapore)

*Description*

The explosive impact of the global popularization of cultural genres from
South Korea has come to be known as the Korean wave, or *hallyu*,
encapsulating various facets of daily life, from music and television to
fashion, film, and culinary trends. The rapid and broad diffusion of genres
associated with the Korean wave has largely been possible through digitally
mediated discourse and has been driven by (trans)national corporate
partnerships as well as fueled by fans’ participatory cultures. The key
role of the Internet in hallyu’s mediation further opens up genres to
vehement negotiation of meaning from fans and consumers. Digital labor such
as commenting, editing, uploading, subtitling, and sharing continues to
reconfigure the pathways through which the Korean wave is (re)produced,
(re)circulated and (re)imagined. Despite such practices relying heavily on
the creative circulation of language and other signs, studies of
*hallyu* largely
have not addressed media discourse in a systematic way. Moreover, signs
associated with Korean popular culture take on different meanings as they
are consumed in different local contexts; thus, scholarly examinations of
*hallyu* must engage how consumption patterns adapt to and intersect with
locally meaningful categories of identities, community, and power.

By (re)examining globally circulating signs associated with Korean popular
culture, this special issue aims to center the key role of language – both
as metapragmatic ‘cultural object’ (i.e. the topics of conversation) as
well as a powerful semiotic tool through which local signs are negotiated. The
aims of this special issue are twofold: to expand language-based studies of
the internet-mediated Korean wave by taking a semiotically informed
discourse-analytic approach to this ubiquitous global phenomenon, and
secondly, to examine local instantiations of the Korean wave in different
contexts by accounting for everyday actors’ communicative practices.

We are looking for papers that approach the study of Korean wave-affiliated
genres with a strong linguistic or semiotic approach. Though not expected
to engage a specific theoretical approach, accepted papers will attend to
at least one of the following:

   - semiotic processes such as circulation, local meaning-making,
   resignification, etc.
   - (re)significations of language and other signs in context
   - the role of mediatized language/discourse in shaping Korean popular
   culture
   - metapragmatic discourses (e.g. by fans) vis-à-vis Korean wave genres

*Submission guidelines*

Please include the following with your submission: (1) full name, pronouns,
institution; (2) tentative title and 3-5 key words; (3) a 500-word
abstract, with references; (4) a short author bio of up to 150 words that
includes areas of research expertise and relevant publications; (5) any
relevant information regarding previous publications of the work to be
submitted (either in its entirety or in significant sections) including
journal articles, working papers, chapters in edited collections, etc.

Please email your submissions to Joyhanna Yoo (j.y.garza at csus.edu) by April
30, 2024.

*Projected timeline (subject to change):*

The timeline we propose is as follows:

   - 500-word abstracts due April 30, 2024
   - Proposal decisions made by May 13, 2024
   - Full-length article due by August 30, 2024 (full papers are not to
   exceed 8,000 words including references but not abstract)
   - Anticipated publication: spring 2025

Mie Hiramoto
Associate Professor, Department of English Language & Literature
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, National University of Singapore
Blk AS5, 7 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Office: 6516-3932, Fax: 6773-2981

http://profile.nus.edu.sg/fass/ellmh/