[Linganth] call to engage anthropologically with fiction

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 21:16:20 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,

CaMP Anthropology is hosting a series of anthropological reflections on
the fiction  anthropologists enjoy, or enjoy hating.  Inspired by a
recent blog series focusing on the television show Severance
onExertions, we are asking for volunteers to write 800-1,000 word blog
posts about a novel, film, television show, graphic novel, podcast, any
form of fictional representation.  Analyses of adaptations are also
welcome.  Steve Selka and I hope that this will be first and foremost an
enjoyable exercise to write and read, but also we hope that perhaps this
will be useful for teaching, given how often many of us use video clips
in classes.

The format:

We are asking people to suggest or choose a work they would like to
analyze for the CaMP blog. Once at least three people have signed up to
discuss a piece of fiction, we will negotiate a deadline that adds as
little stress as possible to people’s all too obligated lives.  When
enough people sign up to discuss a particular text, they will form an
editing circle – each person will edit two other pieces in the two weeks
after the deadline. When all the edited and revised posts have been sent
to CaMP anthropology –campsemiotics at gmail.com, we will post the three
blogs posts over three weeks, one every Monday.

Please sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ADc8zzbV3XZgICMZwAN04viEYZX6IcSWq3sEuF3YQ8/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ADc8zzbV3XZgICMZwAN04viEYZX6IcSWq3sEuF3YQ8/edit?usp=sharing>

Please address any questions to Ilana Gershon – igershon at rice.edu and
Steve Selka – sselka at indiana.edu

And thank you for considering this experiment,

Ilana