[Linganth] Readings for course on Language and (Im)politeness

Cheryl Yin cyin at carleton.edu
Wed Mar 20 16:36:36 UTC 2024

Hello,

I'm putting together a new class about language and (im)politeness and
would like to know what readings you think might be worthwhile to look at
in a course like this. This includes grammatical (im)politeness (like T/V
forms) as well as metapragmatics and style. Broadly speaking, I'm open to
things that touch upon language of respect and deference, along with taboo
or "fighting words," in any setting or space.

My research is on honorifics in Cambodia, so I have lots of sources on
Southeast Asian languages and person-reference terms. I'm also considering
some old works (Brown & Levinson, Brown & Gilman) along with the
Anthropological Quarterly special issue in 2011 (edited by Fleming &
Lempert). I feel like I might be missing any newer sources. I think social
media and the internet must have new emergent rules about language and
(im)politeness.

This course begins next week, so if you could get back to me by this
**Friday, March 22** as I continue to work on my syllabus this weekend, I
would appreciate it. (If anyone wants to know the story why this message is
coming to you late, read my PS below.) Feel free to send any and all
sources that you think might be useful. But any late sources will still be
appreciated. I will teach this course again next year, so any lingering or
late responses will still be helpful as I continue to think about shaping
the course. Thank you in advance!

All the best,
Cheryl

P.S. I do apologize for this late request. I wanted to make the request
earlier, but The Linguist webpage was giving me issues. I was previously
subscribed to this list using an older email from my time as a PhD student
that I rarely check. I am now a new professor at Carleton so I wanted to
re-subscribe using a newer email, which I check daily. However, for some
reason, my college's malware software deemed the Linguist webpage a threat
and blocked all Carleton laptops from accessing the Linguist website.
Because of this, I was unable to access it to access the page to
re-subscribe. I had to make an IT ticket and it took them several days to
investigate. They finally said the malware software was miscategorizing the
website (or the website was misconfigured), so they had to put the website
on the exception list. After finally accessing the Linguist webpage and
re-subscribing with my new email, I did not know that there was a secondary
step of clicking on an approval link because that email had gone into my
spam folder. Before knowing all of this, I tried to send this email request
twice, but the Linganth moderator kept saying my message was being denied
because I was a non-member. I think I am a member now and am hoping this
third and final request to send this email finally goes through.

--
Cheryl Yin, PhD (*she/her/hers*)
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
cyin at carleton.edu