[LingGEOG] [2nd CfP] (Virtual) Linguistic Geography at AAG 2021

Greg Niedt gniedt at pobox.pafa.edu
Fri Oct 23 01:54:26 UTC 2020

*(NOTE: Since AAG has extended the deadline for abstract submissions, I'm
pushing the deadline for this session out to October 30. But if you're
interested, please let me know sooner! We need a minimum number of people
with relevant papers in order to run the session.)*

Second Call for Papers: Linguistic Geography
AAG Annual Meeting in Seattle/Virtual, April 7–11, 2021
Organizer: Greg Niedt

*Deadline for abstracts:* Friday, October 30, 2020

…

The intersection of language, discourse, and space has become a growing
subject of attention in recent years, in a range of disciplines including
cultural geography, linguistic anthropology, sociology, and political
science. Following a hiatus last year, there is an opportunity for the
interdisciplinary Linguistic Geography session to return to the AAG annual
meeting. This call is for any scholars whose work touches on the ways in
which landscape and language are connected, and the impact they have on our
understanding of the world.

Possible topics include language and space, linguistic landscapes (language
use in public spaces), language and power, ethnophysiography, toponymy,
dialectology, linguistic cartography, and the representation of places in
discourse. Papers that engage with the conference themes for 2021,
especially "Geographies of Access: Inclusion and Pathways" and
"Ethnonationalism and Exclusion around the World" are especially
encouraged. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the desire for
international participation, this is planned to be a *virtual session*;
note that the session will not be finalized until it is clear that there
will be a minimum number of participants.

Please reach out to Greg Niedt at gniedt at pobox.pafa.edu by *Friday, October
30th* if you are interested in presenting in the 2021 sessions, or if you
have any questions. (You are also welcome to send abstract drafts, if you
have ideas prepared.) More information about the conference can be found at
http://annualmeeting.aag.org/, and feel free to disseminate the CFP to
anyone you know who might be interested.

Cheers,
Greg Niedt, Organizer

Greg Niedt
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts