[LingGEOG] [CfP] Linguistic Geography session at AAG 2022, New York

Greg Niedt gniedt at pobox.pafa.edu
Fri Sep 17 03:49:16 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well. After a hiatus in 2020 due to COVID, and in 2021
due to a lack of participants, I'm hoping to bring the Linguistic Geography
session back to the American Association of Geographers' Annual Meeting in
2022. Please see below for details, but feel free to reach out to me
directly if you have any questions.

~ Greg

*Call for Papers:* Linguistic Geography
AAG Annual Meeting in New York City/virtual, February 25–March 1, 2022

Organizer: Greg Niedt
*Deadline for abstracts:* Friday, October 15, 2021

The intersection of language, discourse, and space has become a growing
subject of attention in recent years, across a range of disciplines
including cultural geography, linguistic anthropology, sociology, and
political science. This session explores the ways that language, broadly
understood, can encode diversity into our surroundings and impact our
interpretations of the world. What things do we say about places that shape
our attitudes towards them? How do the communities that inhabit them use
language, from signage to graffiti, in official policy and everyday
conversation, to express themselves or make claims to a space? We will
focus on why attending to this piece of the puzzle can be a helpful
perspective for geographers, and how these ideas, when applied, can help
groups amplify and maintain their voices.

*Call for participation:*

The call is open for any researchers investigating topics such as language
and space, linguistic landscapes (language use in public spaces), language
and power, ethnophysiography, toponymy, dialectology, linguistic
cartography, and the representation of places in discourse. Presenters who
engage with the conference themes for this year, especially "Geographies of
Access: Inclusion and Pathways," "Ethnonationalism and Exclusion around the
World," and "Expanding the Community of Geography" are encouraged to submit
work.

Please reach out to Greg Niedt at gniedt at pobox.pafa.edu by *Friday, 15
October* if you would like your paper to be considered for the panel. While
this session is planned to be in-person, accommodations can be made for
virtual participation if necessary. (Note that participants must also
register for the conference and submit their abstract to AAG's session
gallery by *Tuesday,* *19 October*; see http://www.aag.org/cs/aag2022nyc
for more details.) And of course, feel free to send this call to others who
might be interested!

Cheers,
Greg Niedt (organizer)
--
=====
Dr. Greg Niedt (*they/he*)
gniedt at pobox.pafa.edu

Linguistic Landscapes Beyond the Language Classroom
<https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/linguistic-landscapes-beyond-the-language-classroom-9781350125360/>
Essentials of Visual Interpretation
<https://www.routledge.com/Essentials-of-Visual-Interpretation/Reynolds-Niedt/p/book/9780367491284>