Warning about Faked LINGUIST email

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 6 13:53:34 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Mon Jun 06 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: Warning about Faked LINGUIST email

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

1)
Date: 06-Jun-2005
From: Michael Appleby < michael at linguistlist.org >

Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:44:20
From: Michael Appleby < michael at linguistlist.org >

Dear Subscribers,

In the past few days, we have noticed a large amount of faked
linguistlist.org email.  These messages often have something similar
to 'Your account is suspended' in the subject line, and appear to
come from addresses such as 'info at linguistlist.org, 'admin at linguistlist.org',
'support at linguistlist.org' or 'mail at linguistlist.org'.  None of these
addresses have ever existed.  Unfortunately, spoofing email addresses
is quite easy to do, and LINGUIST List is powerless to stop it.

These messages also come with attachments.  Unless you receive a
particular digest version of LINGUIST, no genuine LINGUIST List email
will ever contain an attachment.  Therefore, do not open an attachment
that apparantly comes from us: it almost certainly contains a virus.

Michael Appleby
Managing Editor, LINGUIST List

On behalf of the LINGUIST Moderators, Helen and Anthony Aristar.