LINGUIST List: Help LINGUIST Raise $2500 in 24 Hours!

Tue Apr 11 12:45:41 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Help LINGUIST Raise $2500 in 24 Hours!

Moderators: Anthony Aristar, Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>
            Helen Aristar-Dry, Eastern Michigan U. <hdry at linguistlist.org>

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U. of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U. of Arizona

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:10:27
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Help LINGUIST Raise $2500 in 24 Hours!

Meet the Advisors' Challenge: donate $2500 in the next 24 hours and
make $4000 for LINGUIST!

Dear Colleagues,

Are you aware that there is a Linguist List Advisory Panel?  We are a
group of 30 linguists from around the world who have the
responsibility (and the fun) of providing reactions, guidance
(business, technical, project, etc), and encouragement to Helen,
Anthony, and the whole Linguist List crew. Some of us are from
academia, and others from business and industry. We produce some of
the letters, limericks, and other tidbits meant to urge the rest of
the Linguist List subscribers to contribute during the annual Fund
Drive (FD).

This year we have a new idea: we decided to make our own "sprint" in
preparation for a 24-hour dash FD challenge.  Earlier this week, we
ran an internal fund raising campaign among the group of Advisory
Board members, with 2 members dedicating effort to promoting the
"sprint" and raising internal pledges.  What are the results?  Well,
by the first 24-hour mark (from 3th to 4th April), the Linguist List
Advisory Board internally raised $1000 beyond the $2500 that various
Board members had already contributed to the FD this year. It was so
successful that we then decided to keep it going another day!  We have
fixed a 48-hour deadline to raise as much as possible for an even
BIGGER challenge.

OUR really tiny group of 30 challenges YOU, the other 22,470 (that's
22,500 minus 30) subscribers, merely to match our initial collective
contribution of $2500, (pledged to the FD before 3rd April).  If YOU
do this, WE will add as a "bonus" to the FD the Advisors' 48-hour
sprint amount (a total of $1500) which was raised between 3rd and 5th
of April for this specific Challenge.

But wait! - with only a small additional contribution from each of you
the challenge can get even better results.  What if YOU came through
with triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, or even 10 times this
amount?  WE ALL together could end the FD early and at the same time
involve even more people than ever before in supporting this wonderful
entity.  Think about it: just $5 per person would easily meet the
goal, show the Advisory Panel that they were not largely alone (other
generous contributors will forgive this rhetorical flourish), and keep
Linguist List running for the next year and more.

LAST-MINUTE news FLASH: MultiLingual magazine will extend the
complimentary offer of its full-year subscription to anyone who
donates a minimum of $15 during the 24-hour dash Advisors' Challenge
to the Linguist List.

With appreciation in advance,

Regards,
Margaret Winters and Jeff Allen
On behalf of the entire LINGUIST-List Advisory Panel
Get to know all of us here at:

http://www.linguistlist.org/advisory.html