LINGUIST List Special Issue: Advisors' Challenge: Still $4989 and 20 hours to go!

Thu Apr 3 19:10:36 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Advisors' Challenge: Still $4889 and 19 hours to go!

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

------------------------- Message 1 ----------------------------------
Date: Thu, 03 April 2008 14:15:00
From:  linguist <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject: $4889 still needed for the Advisors' Challenge!

Linguists:

You!!  Yeah, you!!  You know who you are; you're the freeloader who
knows that the Linguist List is the first place to go if you're
looking for all things linguistics: books or jobs or conferences or
software or discussions and reviews.  But there's a 97.1% chance that
you've contributed nothing to this worthwhile and necessary service;
that's nothing; nada; rien; zilch; nanimo; nichts.  Do you feel guilty
yet?  No?  Have you been ignoring the messages that tell you what it
takes to give you this service?  Don't!  The messages will stop once
we've reached our goal, so do everyone a favor and contribute.

You people outside the US have a unique opportunity!!!  The US dollar
is so weak that your Euros, yen, yuan, pounds -- heck, even the
Canadian dollar -- will go farther than at almost any time in history.
If you contribute, we'll get what feels like a lot but you will hardly
notice that your purse is lighter.  Come to think of it, if everybody
just gave the equivalent of the amount of change in their pockets or
purses, it would of course drive the credit card companies crazy, but
this drive would be over in a nanosecond.

Convinced yet?  No?  Why not?  Come on, contribute.  If you were
waiting until the last minute, wait no longer; this is the time.  Send
money!!

The LINGUIST List Advisors