LINGUIST List Special Issue: Grad School Challenge: Who will win?

Mon Apr 7 20:09:46 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Grad School Challenge: Who will win?

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

------------------------- Message 1 ----------------------------------
Date: Mon, 07 April 2008 15:57:32
From:  linguist <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject: Grad School Challenge Update

Dear Linguists,

The Advisors' Challenge was a real photo-finish, with subscribers
meeting the challenge only in the last 10 minutes of the 48 hours.
But you did it!  And, as a result, our generous Advisory Board has
added $2500 to the Fund Drive total, bringing us within $2406 of our
goal.

And speaking of photo-finishes ... I was just looking at the stats in
the Grad School challenge:

As of this writing, Stanford is in first place-for the fifth year in a
row! - with a $770 lead.  But U. of Arizona and U. of California at
Santa Barbara are battling for second place, with only a $149
difference between them!  And U. of Washington is less than $250
behind them!  Then U. of Toronto and U. of Michigan are coming in
next, with only a $66 difference between them.  Next up, Berkeley and
UT-Austin are only $15 apart, followed by Wayne State U. and
UMass-Amherst, which are only $35 apart.

Together, the top 10 schools have contributed over $13,000 so far to
the LINGUIST Fund Drive.  Check out the latest figures at:
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/gradschools/allschools.html

The schools are so close together that the roster of winners could
change at any minute.  But, of course, in our minds, all of them are
winners.  Indeed every school that entered this challenge seems to us
to be full of community-spirited, generous people.  And we appreciate
every donation.

And we know that, in many cases, one or two people are spearheading
the donations, writing letters to their colleagues, collecting group
donations, organizing matching funds, etc.  If you will let us know
who these 'Friends of LL' are at your school, we would very much like
to recognize them in a posting.

Being a local Grad School Challenge organizer takes energy and
generosity and school spirit-but also the ability to commit to a
linguistics community that extends beyond a single school or region.
Particularly if these GSC organizers are students, we think the
community as a whole should know their names.  So please send the name
of your local organizer-student or faculty- to our Fund Drive
Coordinator, Maria Moreno-Rollins (herself a grad student until last
year).  Her address is maria at linguistlist.org.

And our heartfelt thanks, once again, to everyone who is helping us make
this fund drive a success.  Only $2406 to go!

- Helen Aristar-Dry
On behalf of the LINGUIST Crew

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $60,000. This money will go
to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors
for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our
Fund Drive 2008 LINGUIST List Circus and join us on our many shows!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so,
go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on
how to donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University
and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is
a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is
38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and
sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will
match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this
entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us
a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your
employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that
doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an
extra penny.  Please take a moment to check if your company operates
such a program.

Note: the donors' names are appended to every fund drive message sent
to the main list.  You can also see the list of all donors by clicking
here:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/contributors2008.html