LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fun dDrive Friday is Here!

Fri Mar 14 16:36:02 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fun dDrive Friday is Here!

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

------------------------- Message 1 ----------------------------------
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:13:42
From:  linguist <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject: Your donations make LINGUIST flourish

Dear Colleagues,

The very talented and innovative Linguist List team has come up with a
circus theme this year for the - inevitable - fund drive.  I hope you
are enjoying their ideas.  I've been thinking as a result about
circuses: one of the reasons we might go the circus is to experience
what the Barnum and Bailey ringmaster always called (roughly) the
thrills and chills for children of all ages.  Think about lion tamers,
trapeze artists, and tightrope walkers - part of the fun for many of
us is the edgy kind of excitement that comes from watching them do
things with very large animals or balanced and moving up in the
air-something which we could never imagine doing ourselves.

Of course, Linguist List doesn't need that kind of edgy excitement!
Anthony, Helen, and all of us need to know, day to day and year to
year, that the funding is sufficient for the task.  And for that we
need your help - your contributions make for stability and the right
kind of dull boredom which comes from knowing that expenses will be
covered and Linguist List will continue to flourish.  The excitement
can come once in a while from the postings, but not from the not very
thrilling but indeed extremely chilling threat of no Linguist List at
all.

Many thanks for your contributions,
Margaret Winters