LINGUIST List Special Issue: Update from the first LL Crew Member

Mon Mar 24 15:36:50 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Update from the first LL Crew Member

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

------------------------- Message 1 ----------------------------------
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:41:13
From:  linguist <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject: First Crew Member Ljuba Veselinova on life after LINGUIST List

Dear Linguists,

This year we wanted to show you what some of the former LL crew
members have gone on to do in the field. Below is a letter that Ljuba
Veselinova wrote about what she has achieved since leaving LINGUIST.

*

I came to LINGUIST List in 1994 as the first recipient of its graduate
student fellowship funded by subscribers. Compared to its current
size, the list was small back then (around 4000 subscribers) but the
work was exciting and there was this whole new universe to - I am
talking, of course, about the internet. I was soon engulfed by UNIX,
its shells, its mail and text utilities, especially emacs. It was
scary to have to tell some of the people who figured as authors of my
textbooks that they will need to edit parts of their messages. The
mailing list function was a primary one at that time and the list was
split between Eastern Michigan University and the University of Texas
A & M. Those of us based in Michigan were connecting to a computer in
Texas via a phone modem! I stayed with LINGUIST List thanks to the
subscriber's support until I finished my MA in 1997. By the time I was
leaving, the subscriber numbers had soared to 10000 and counting; the
mailing list had become just one of the functions LINGUIST performed,
and a well organized website was in place. The first NSF funded
infrastructure project was going on and there were several grant
proposals in the making. Working for LINGUIST List had never been more
promising.

In a way, it is actually wrong to ask me what I am doing after
LINGUIST List because I never truly quit for real. While greater part
of my time has been devoted to typology through my dissertation on
suppletion in verb paradigms and my participation in the World Atlas
of Language Structures (WALS), my interest in technology and LINGUIST
is as alive as ever. After 1997, I kept coming back to Michigan for
periods of time of varying length. Thanks to grants from the Swedish
Institute I was able to come back in summer 1998 as well as in fall
1999; in summer 2000 I was partially funded by LINGUIST List NSF
grant. My latest stay was on a Visiting Scientist position during the
academic year 2005-6. I was planning on looking for other academic
jobs in the US when the Swedish Research Council awarded me a four
year long research funding. It is worth noting that one of the
motivations for this reward as well as other grants I received was my
international experience while working for the LINGUIST List.

Here in Stockholm, I am currently focusing on the typology of negation
in non-verbal and existential sentences. I also pursue studies on
geographical information systems (GIS) on my own. Right now I teach
sociolinguistics and also a newly designed class on language and
geography together with my colleague Mikael Parkvall. I run the
department's computer room and will soon be taking over the
web-mastering for the ALT website from its current webmaster Peter
Kahrel. My collaboration with LINGUIST is still going on as
Prof. Östen Dahl and I are involved in the Language and
Location/LL-Map project.

The education received at LINGUIST List, both through direct
instruction and mentoring thanks to Helen and Anthony's incredible
resourcefullness and endless patience, as well as indirectly, by just
having to sit down and actually do the work shows up on many different
levels. What I learned from LINGUIST is reflected daily in my
correspondence and professional contacts, in my organizing skills, in
my knowledge and interest in technology and databases. LINGUIST List
has grown from a mailing list with a linguistic profile to an
organization and a school of its own kind. These days I am happy to
send my students there as the LINGUIST List experience is immensely
beneficial to anyone who is going to pursue a career in linguistics
and/or language technology. It is also my turn to chip in the
supporting pot and once again thank the subscribers for all the
contributions that made my stay with LINGUIST possible. At the same
time, I would like to extend a plea for a continued support for the
LINGUIST List as it is an extremely vigorous and creative environment
where many students have found expression for their talents and
actually become linguists.

- Ljuba Veselinova

*

Visit Ljuba's homepage at: http://www.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/

Come to the Fund Drive Circus tent and read about other former LL crew
members:
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/former-ll-crew/

Help us raise money to reach our goal in order to be able to produce
more former LL crew members like Ljuba!

Thank you!

The LINGUIST Crew