Special Issue: Geoff Nathan's challenge to Cognitive Linguists, Marisa

Tue Apr 14 15:29:52 UTC 2009

To: linglite at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subject: Special Issue: Geoff Nathan's challenge to Cognitive Linguists, Marisa
	 Ferrara Boston's letter, CUP Prize to Win!

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:59:46
From:  linguist [[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Geoff Nathan is Challenging Cognitive Linguists!

Dear Subscribers,

Thank you, Formalist Syntacticians!
(Now, Cognitive Linguists, it's your turn.)

Yesterday, in response to a challenge by Andrew Carnie,
over ten formalist syntacticians donated $955 to the
LINGUIST Fund Drive during the appointed 5 hours.
Thank you, Formalists!  And thank you, Andrew, for mounting
the challenge.  What a generous and public-spirited group!

Now, this morning, Geoff Nathan has challenged Cognitive
Linguists to step up and show their support of LINGUIST
List.  Geoff says, "Not to be outdone by the formal
syntacticians, Geoff Nathan has a challenge to Cognitive
linguists.  He'll donate an additional $200, if at least
10 other Cognitivists make enough donations to total $500."

If the Cognitive Linguists meet this challenge, the Fund
Drive total will top $43,500, and we'll be just $16,500
short of our goal.  This is a big boost from last week
when we had collected only $27,000 and feared that we
might have to severely cut services this year.

Since then, in response to our pleas, many subscribers
have written letters in our behalf, or coordinated a Grad
School Challenge, or requested a matching donation from an
employer; and other subscribers have responded generously
to these efforts. We're certainly not out of  danger yet,
but we are very heartened by the help we've received from
people like Andrew and Geoff who are going the extra mile
to help us raise the funds we need.

So, Cognitive Linguists, please meet the challenge!
Help us support the LINGUIST student crew and continue to
serve all linguistics sub-disciplines next year!

Donate now at:

The LINGUIST Crew