Special Issue: Discourse Analysts: Are you ready? Plus, Robert Lew

Fri Apr 17 14:11:51 UTC 2009

To: linglite at listserv.linguistlist.org
Subject: Special Issue: Discourse Analysts: Are you ready? Plus, Robert Lew
         is the new Linguist of the Day!

--------------------- Message 1 ----------------------------
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:51:06
From:  linguist [[log in to unmask]]
Subject: Helen Aristar-Dry Challenges all Discourse Analysts!

Dear Discourse and Text Analysts,

Anthony and I have already donated $300 but we'll
make it $100 more if 10 Discourse Analysts or Text
Linguists will contribute at least $500 in
the next 4 hours.  We'll make it $200 more if
you will contribute a total of $1000.

The formal syntacticians, cognitive linguists,
historical linguists, and 2nd language acquisitionists
have all met their Fund Drive challenges.
So far we have had

- 16 Formal Syntacticians donate $955 in 4 hours,
challenge.

- 14 Cognitive Linguists donate $850 in 5 hours,

- 13 Historical Linguists donate $924 in 8 hours,

- 24 2nd Language Acquisitionists donate $1040 in
10 hours, in response to Bill VanPatten's challenge.

Can't Discourse Analysts equal the other disciplines'
generosity?

After all there are 1049 Discourse Analysts registered
in the LINGUIST List Directory (1048, if you don't
count me).  If each of those 1048 donated only $10,
we could close Fund Drive tomorrow.

Sadly, only  about 2% of LINGUIST's 26,000 subscribers
ever donate to the Fund Drive that keeps LINGUIST going.
But I would like my sub-discipline to be well-represented
among that generous 2%.

After all, LINGUIST does a lot to support Discourse
Analysis.  The LINGUIST web pages display quite a lot
of information on our field.  For example, we list
the following resources on Discourse Analysis:

156  Academic Papers
693  Books
203  Book Reviews
536  Calls/Confs
157  Dissertation Abstracts
85   Jobs
10   Journals
51   Linguistic Programs
7    Mailing Lists
24   Support Announcements
75   Web Resources

LINGUIST supports your professional activities.
Please help LINGUIST support its student crew and
keep going to serve you another year!

Donate now at:

With sincere thanks to all who have already donated
--or who will donate to meet this challenge.

-Helen Aristar-Dry