LINGUIST List Special Issue: Note From Anthony Aristar

Wed Apr 7 13:46:22 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Note From Anthony Aristar

	  Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	   Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	    Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:39:20
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Note From Anthony Aristar

Dear Colleagues:

Yesterday the LINGUIST List was visited by our university
Provost, and the students did us proud. Their presentations
were so professional, so polished, and their commitment to
the discipline so clear, that I think he was a little taken
aback. He asked what made people become linguists, and
someone answered, "Well, I think linguistics is sort of a
calling..."

I loved that comment. I thought how right it was. That's
why I became a linguist, and to realize that our students
felt it too made me feel very good indeed.

The trouble is that to make their calling a reality requires
that they be supported while they work their way through
graduate school. And that's why I'm sending this message.

A few days ago we started the Advisors' Challenge. The LINGUIST
List advisors challenged all of you to raise $8000 in 48 hours.
If this goal is reached, the LINGUIST Advisors will donate the
extra $2000 that would end the Fun Drive for this year.

We now have only 4 hours left, and we are nowhere near out goal.
At this moment, we still need another $3671. This is a great
deal to raise in such a short time.

We know that these are hard economic times, but there is a
simple fact here: LINGUIST cannot continue its job unless it
can pay the graduate students who run it. And that's why we
have the Fund Drive. And those graduates are pretty neat
people, people who love the discipline.

So I'm writing this letter. Please contribute now, and let's
end the Fund Drive, so we can support these young people,
who've been called to work in our discipline.

Anthony Aristar