LINGUIST List Special Issue: Subfield Challenge Update

Fri Mar 12 19:34:16 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive

	  Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	   Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	    Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2010 08:30:20
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Margaret Winters Is Challenging You!

Dear Colleagues.

The history of linguistics is not an ordinary area -
it doesn't look at language from any specialized angle,
but rather steps back and looks at how language itself
has been looked at by linguists of all sorts across
many geographic and cultural traditions and particularly
across time. It can, in a real sense, be called a branch
of metalinguistics. But nonetheless, it is very much a
part of our discipline. Historians of linguistics are,
on the whole, trained in linguistics, though interested
in this overarching field which looks at how theories have
developed, flourished, and been superseded by other
theories.

This metafield too is supported by LinguistList. Where
else do we go to ask questions, track down references,
learn about conferences, and interact with our colleagues
across the world? In exchange we need to support
Linguistlist; it cannot help us if we don't help it with
our donations. I am giving $200 in support of LinguistList
and invite all those who study the history of linguistics,
those who teach it, and those who simply find it an
interesting area to contribute to the List through this
challenge.

Donate now!

With best wishes,

Margaret Winters