LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive - G. Nathan's Challenge

Mon Apr 11 16:00:10 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive - G. Nathan's Challenge

	 Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:58:541
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Geoff Nathan Challenges You!

Dear Subscribers,

Although many readers of LinguistList are full-time linguists,
a number of us are full-time academics, but only part-time
linguists, because we have administrative and technical
responsibilities elsewhere on campus. Some of us are Deans,
or Provosts, or department chairs (sometimes of departments
that are not Linguistics). I myself am officially 'Faculty
Liaison to Computing and Information Technology' at Wayne
State University in Detroit, Michigan. What that means is
that I spend a lot of my time wrestling with complaints about
the computing systems here at Wayne, and with complaints about
the people who use the system from those who maintain and run
them.

As a result, I don't have as much time to devote to keeping
up with the field as I'd like, and I rely on LinguistList to
help me do that. I read book reviews, learn about conferences,
and, alas, occasionally read obituaries. So, I'm challenging
my colleagues who are similarly dependent on LL to let us know
what's going on, or even, in some cases, maintain any kind of
contact with our chosen field. Let's see if we can, together,
match the amount raised by the most generous subfield, the
Sociolinguists, who raised $2,660. I'll start off by pledging
$400.

Donate now:

Geoffrey S. Nathan