LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive Advisers' Challenge

Mon Apr 18 16:02:39 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive Advisers' Challenge

	 Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:00:01
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: The Advisers' Challenge is Underway!

Dear Colleagues,

So what do members of the Advisory Board do to deserve
having our names on the website?  Some of it is obvious
by the nature of such groups.  We advise Anthony, Helen,
and the LinguistList crew when they need guidance.  They
consult us about new directions for LL, not just the
listserve, but also the many data bases they build and
maintain and the other services they perform for our
discipline.  They turn to us as well if there are business
matters to resolve; how much to charge, if at all, for
various kinds of listings, for example.  And of course we
help out with the annual fund-raiser; why else would you
hear from this specific group of colleagues annually asking
for your support?  But there is more - consider the very
wonderful song available on the LL site, written by
advisors Susan Fisher and Terry Langendoen.  And of course
we also contribute.

The contributions take me to the point of this letter.
There are about 35 of us and LL has, as of the date of this
letter, received donations of approximately $59,000.  As I
point out every year, there are some 26,000 of you, not a
thousand times the number of Advisors but right around 750
times.  What I am going to propose is extremely modest, then.
As of now we need some $7,500 to meet the goals of the fund
drive.  We challenge you to match our pledge and exceed it
by a multiple of 2 (not, I repeat, a multiple of 750).  If
this can be accomplished in the next 2 days, LL will meet
its goal of $67,000 and we can all be assured that it will
continue to serve as, as it does extraordinarily well, for
the next year.

So, consider the very modest goal of a multiple of 2 and
donate to LinguistLIst!!

Donate at:

Many thanks,
Margaret Winters