LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive

Tue Mar 1 17:10:49 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List Special Issue: Fund Drive

	 Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
	 Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
         <reviews at linguistlist.org>

Homepage: http://linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:51:12
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: It Is Time to Give Back!

Dear LINGUIST Subscribers,

I remember some years ago when I wrote, "Each year around this
time we do something that all of us at LINGUIST dread: we begin
our annual fund drive. We often have fantasies that, one day, a
wonderful and magical creature will arrive at our door-step, and
endow the entire operation from the funds derived from the huge
wealth her bestselling linguistics book has produced."

Well, some years have passed, and despite all our wishes, despite
all the candles we have lit to appropriate deities, no such
person has appeared. Yes, it is rather inexplicable, given the
vast sums that linguists receive for their latest work on
Anatolian laryngeals or clause reduction in New Guinea, but there
it is: we're on our own.

So we're going to have a fund drive yet again, but we promise:
we're going to try as hard as we can to make it fun. We have
one advantage, of course: we have an extraordinary group of
students, who might have a decent career in cartoon production
or animation, were it not for the fact that for some inexplicable
reason they love linguistics. I've never been able to understand
why we all find trees and phonology and words and sound-change or
whatever so fascinating, but we have a shared addiction, and
addictions are expensive, as you know. And the truth of the matter
is that, like all addicts, our students just want to be able to
continue to work on their shared love, and that requires a salary,
even if a minimal one, enough to keep the heating on and to pay
for the power their laptops need. And that's where you come in,
for it's the annual fund-drive that pays the students. Not one
penny of it goes to me or Helen, or any of the people who have
actual jobs here: every penny goes to the people who maintain
the site. People often say nice things to me and Helen about
LINGUIST, and we are always happy to hear them. But the fact is
that most of the real work is done by those student members of
our team. It's they who keep LINGUIST running. And this is no
small job!

We think we've done rather a lot with the money you've given us
over the years, and for rather a long time. We have so many
services that have been built by your donations: a job site which
is the largest in the discipline, a conference & calls pages that
advertise almost all conferences in linguistics, a searchable
linguistic book database, the MultiTree database and search
facility that stores hypotheses about language relationships and
displays them as trees, the LL-MAP site for geolinguistics... I
think we've done a lot in the time we've been around. Somehow we
have to preserve all this, and for that we need your help.

Of course, this is a judgment you, not we, must make on this
issue. But I think you would find it difficult to find another
discipline which has anything like LINGUIST. We can't help feeling
a little proud of it, even though we are well aware that it could
be improved in many ways. But the LINGUIST organization tries to
do as much as it can for the discipline, and this is one of the
reasons why we have to support so many students. Running a website
that is as edited and complex as LINGUIST takes a lot of resources,
and a lot of people. LINGUIST is no different from the discipline
of which it is a part: we don't have a lot of money to play with,
and we need your support.

So we'd like to ask you, once again, if you would be so generous
as to support LINGUIST again this year. Remember: every penny is
an investment both in the discipline's present infrastructure,
and in its future wellbeing.

Donate at:

Anthony