[Fwd: LINGUIST: confirmation required (3B591530)]

Tue Mar 20 22:32:58 UTC 2012

Dear Subscribers,

It would be wonderful if we didn't have to ask
for money every year, and all of us at LINGUIST
fantasize about some hugely wealthy donor who one
day wakes up and decides to endow the organization
with enough resources so that we'd never have to
have another fund drive. But until that happens, we
will sadly have to go on begging you to help us so
that we can continue keeping LINGUIST List going.

I think it's obvious that LINGUIST has become a
fundamental part of our discipline. Of course, I never
intended this when I started the list; all I wanted was
a place where linguists could talk about their work using
the then brand-new Internet. But circumstances change,
and we clearly filled a role we had never expected to, the
role of central information-provider to our discipline.

We've done this for many years now, and some years
were easier than others. But I think Helen and I would
agree that this has been the most difficult period in the
life of the list. Economic times are very bad, so bad that
our school has withdrawn some of its financial support.
This puts us in a very unfortunate position. We've managed
in past years, but only barely. This year we need your
support particularly badly. Won't you help us, so that we
can continue supporting your discipline?

One final thing: have you ever considered leaving a bequest
to the LINGUIST List? One thing we really need badly if we are
to continue is an endowment. You could help us to start
one with a bequest. Contact us about how you could do that.
(linguist [AT] linguistlist [DOT] org)

Our sincere thanks!

Anthony