LINGUIST List Exceptional Message for Sun Dec 13 2015

The LINGUIST List (Lite version) via LINGLITE linglite at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 13 19:08:03 UTC 2015

Please apologize this exceptional direct posting to all subscribers.

The special occasion calls for an exception of the policies.

                LINGUIST List has 25th birthday!

                 Thank you all for you support!

Please see the LINGUIST List volume 26-5528 for details.

Sincerely!

Your LINGUIST List Team!

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5528. Sun Dec 13 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
Subject: 26.5528, All: LINGUIST List 25th Birthday!
Homepage: http://linguistlist.org

            2015 end of year and holiday season fund drive:

      Thank you for your continuous support of The LINGUIST List!
               We wish you all a Happy New Year 2016!

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 12:03:29
Subject: LINGUIST List 25th Birthday!

Dear linguists, colleagues, friends,

The LINGUIST List is celebrating its 25th birthday!

As an academic service run by linguistics students and faculty, it
survived 25 years mainly because of a wonderful and supportive community
of linguists and language enthusiasts from all around the world. Thank
you all for making LINGUIST possible, for keeping it alive for 25 years!

On the 13th of December 1990, Anthony Aristar posted from the University
of Western Australia the first email to LINGUIST, announcing together
with Helen Aristar Dry the launch of the new list. Helen and Anthony
were ending their message with this comment:

''Let us say in ending that making a list of this kind a success depends
crucially on initiating an ongoing dialogue between participants. Once
this dialogue has been properly begun, the list acquires a life of its
own, and little further effort is required to maintain its existence. To
this end, we earnestly ask you all to begin contributing, and aid
therefore in the continuance of LINGUIST.''

They were more than right. The list acquired a life of its own. It has
been serving the linguistic community for 25 years now. It has grown
from a mailing list to a major web portal and a social media site and it
keeps evolving to remain relevant and to address the needs of the
discipline.
Helen and Anthony were wrong about the ''little further effort'' to
maintain its existence. They are surely very aware of that now.

The operation requires a lot of effort by the team of editing and
supporting students and programmers. It is very much unique in providing
a moderated mailing list infrastructure with human editing services and
post-publishing support for corrections, changes, and updates to posted
information. This human touch makes it unique, efficient, important, and
interesting. It offers an interactive service with a team of dedicated
linguistics students, learning about the academic scene and life of
linguistics, learning about running the list service and a complex
website, about posting on social media platforms, organizing fund
drives, and also doing linguistic research. It has been a pleasure to
have the LINGUIST List crew around, to be part of them.

We are glad that LINGUIST List is reaching silver status now. We hope to
lay the ground for it reaching gold in the next 25 years. The fund drive
is necessary to keep LINGUIST List running. Please help the LINGUIST
List Team to achieve this goal. Please help us with this effort!

The LINGUIST List is now located at Indiana University in the Department
of Linguistics for more than a year. We are grateful for the help and
support that LINGUIST received from Indiana University and all
linguists, linguistics and language related programs, colleagues, and
students on campus! We are thankful for all the support and help that we
received from all around the world.

LINGUIST List relies on your donations to financially support the
editing students and keep the operation working. Our readers' support
goes directly to fund the students who edit the mailing list and
website; without that support, we'd have nobody to send out the
information you rely on. LINGUIST is a charitable non-profit service
that will issue tax-deductible (in the US) receipts for donations.
Please consider donating to LINGUIST List and supporting the student
editors. Please follow the instructions on the LINGUIST List donation page!

Thank you all for your support!

Sincerely

The LINGUIST List Team

          2015 end of year and holiday season fund drive: