"adverbials" with accusative case

bingfu bingfu at USC.EDU
Fri Dec 11 19:26:24 UTC 1998

Dear Netters,

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, David Gohre wrote:

> Hello Funknet.  I'd like to ask if there's any sort of typological
> hierarchy for adverbials, much like there is for phonology?  Analogous to:
> A language has unvoiced stops if it has voiced stops, are there
> implications for Adverbials?
>
> Also, on the topic of adverbials, I know that Hungarian is one example of
> a language that actually can assign accusative case to a seeming
> adverbial, barring the existence an object NP, for example the following
> gloss could occur in Hungarian.
>
> John worked two hours-ACC
>
> Is this common, or another realization of an implicational WRT adverbials?
> It seems rather reasonable from an analysis of prototypical
> V-Transitivity, but what about adverbials?
>
> Thanks, Funknetters.
>
> Dave

Chinese shares the similar phenomenon.
The Chinese version of the above sentence is

John gongzuo-le liang xiaoshi
         worked       two   hour

Many Chinese grammarians argue that 'two hours' above should
be regarded as an object.

Under the proposal by Comrie
(1987: Definite and Animate Direct Objects: A natural class.Linguistica
Silesiana 3: 13-21
1977:  	Subject and direct object in Uralic languages: A functional
explanation
of case-marking system.
Etudes Finno-Ougriennes 12 (Budapest: Akademiai Kiado) 5-17),

it is not suprising, since 'two hours' is an indefinite
inanimate nominal, it naturally patterns with the accusative.

As I know, in Korean, the counterpart of the above Hungarian uses
accusative for 'two hours' too.

Now, I just wonder how many languages share
this phenomenon.
 If correspodences are numerous, I will make a summary.

Bingfu Lu