Manner Adverbs

bingfu bingfu at SCF-FS.USC.EDU
Fri Mar 13 04:27:13 UTC 1998

Hi, colleague,
	In Chinese, we cannot say literally, theoretically
'the girl sang beautifully' or
'the girl beautifully sang' (does English allow this sentence?)

We must say
'the girl sang beautiful'.

I think the structure is similar  to 'he died young/a hero'
and 'he drove slow'.
Notice, 'he drove slow' is not equal to 'he drove slowly',
since there is a contrast between
'* he drove his car slow'
and
'he drove his car slowly'