collective and perfect

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Fri Mar 27 23:21:23 UTC 1998

My colleague Garry Davis has asked me to post this query on his behalf.

*********************

In languages that have preverbs, is anyone familiar with cases where a
preverb having a COLLECTIVE or ASSOCIATIVE meaning developed a
RESULTATIVE or PERFECTIVE function in the verbal system?

Is anyone familiar with any cases where a preverb having RESULTATIVE or
PERFECTIVE meaning gradually bleached to a general meaning of
+INTENSIFICATION?

I am interested in this because these pathways of development are
sometimes postulated for the historical development of the prefix ga- in
Germanic.  You can respond to me directly at gdavis at csd.uwm.edu or to the
whole list as you choose.  Thanks in advance.

Garry Davis