passive and locative

Seth Jerchower sejerchower at JTSA.EDU
Tue May 5 15:52:50 UTC 1998

In Italian there is the preposition "da" (from Latin DE AB):

Pre-noun:
Passive phrase (agent marker):
1.        Il cane è stato lavato da Gianni. (The dog was washed by Gianni.).

As a locative:
2a.        Andiamo a giocare a carte da Mario (We're going to play cards at
Mario's).
2b.        Trattoria "da Maso" ("Maso's Eatery"; typical "homestyle" name
for a small restaurant).

Verb:
Verb (infinitive), indicating purpose:
3a.        Questo film è proprio da vedere.  (This movie's a must-see).
3b.        La mia ragazza è da amare. (My girlfriend is loveable; cf. Latin
gerund "amanda").
3c.        Hai da fare?  (Are you busy?).

The preposition is the equivalent to Latin DE and AB, and in early literary
Italian, as well as in Italo-Romance varieties, the preposition "de" is
used/continued, rather than "da"; both are found in surnames which are
formed with toponyms, such as "Jacopone da Todi", "Leone di Modena".  In
it's widest usage, however, Latin "de" is continued not as a
locative/ablative marker, but evolves into the genitive marker.