Existentials with expressions of saying

Wouden A. van der vdwouden at LET.RUG.NL
Tue Oct 13 12:56:56 UTC 1998

Fellow typologists,

I am looking for languages with existential constructions (English
'there is', German 'es gibt') involving some word of
saying. Background: as I see it, in Dutch such a thing is
developing. Next to traditional 'er is' "there is" we now often find
'er is sprake van grote problemen' "there is speech of great problems"
for 'there are great problems'.  I would be interested in examples of
comparable constructions/expressions from other languages.

Note: I know of evidential constructions such as English 'rumour has
it' or Latin 'fama est', but I am less interested in these for the
moment, as no claim of existence is involved.

Thanks in advance,

Ton van der Wouden

VNC-Project "Partikelgebruik in Nederland en Vlaanderen"
Afdeling Nederlands, Fries en Nedersaksisch, Groningen en ATW Leiden
Postbus 9515
2300 RA Leiden
tel. 071 5171089 (thuis) 071 5277983 (werk) 071 5272615 (fax)
email vdwouden at let.rug.nl
http://www.let.rug.nl/~vdwouden