A question about ergative markers

Tom Payne tpayne at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Oct 16 17:07:09 UTC 1998

Austronesian languages that have prenominal particles that many analyze as
ergative case markers have two forms, one for common nouns and another for
proper names. This is a distinction for all the cases, not just ergative.

You probably aren't concerned with languages like the Inuit languages that
have a whole paradigm of ergative markers depending on number of the
ergative NP (singular, dual, plural), and person/number of the possessor.

Tom Payne