ALT timing

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Aug 21 19:06:26 UTC 1999

I thought that the people in Santa Barbara had already volunteered to
organize the next ALT meeting during the 2001 Linguistic Institute in
July 2001. Having the ALT meeting in conjunction with the Linguistic
Institute (in that year at least) would certainly help make it even more
attractive. The ICLA conference will also be there, so someone who wants
to go to both conferences can do them with a single trip.

I also think that we should make sure to hold the ALT conference at a
time that overlaps minimally with semester times around the world. Maybe
someone could make a survey of semester break times in various
universities/countries? Probably it's impossible to find a time that
suits everyone (don't forget our colleagues in Australia!), but we
should certainly try to maximize the accessibility of ALT meetings.

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Inselstr. 22