(Nominal) juxtaposition

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at LING.SU.SE
Sat Apr 29 18:04:04 UTC 2000

Dear colleagues! I am in urgent need of info on juxtaposition. What I
need in particular are
	- 1. a good definition of what is/ can be meant by juxtaposition,
	- 2. references to literature which provides definitions of
juxtaposition and /or takes juxtaposition as a theoretically
interesting phenomenon, apart from the discussions of juxtaposition
for the expression of inalienable possession and iconicity (e.g.,
Haiman, Nichols etc.) and Mithun's paper (1988) on coordination.

I am mostly interested in juxtaposition involving two nominals.

  My own preliminary definition is as follows:

"We find instances of nominal juxtaposition when
		-	there are two nominals in contiguity with each other
		-	the whole combination is a syntactic construction
		-	there is no overt segmental marker for
relating the two nominals to
	 		each other
		- 	wheras intonation and word order are crucial
A nominal here refers to a noun, a noun with various modifiers or a
noun phrase (for the moment leaving aside all the problems with parts
of speech). In such cases we can talk about constructions involving
nominal juxtaposition. E.g., the pseudopartitive NP "en kopp kaffe"
in Swedish involves nominal juxtaposition, whereas its English
counterpart "a cup of tea" does not".

I do get a few problems here:
	- first, constructions which I'd like to call
"juxtapositional" may involve case agreement between the two nominals
- thus, in some languages both "a cup" and "tea" are always put in
the same case in what otherwise looks exactly like the Swedish
construction above.(For Swedish this problem does not arise, since
there are no morphological cases left). When adnominal adjectives and
their heads agree in case, we would hardly like to call this an
instance of juxtaposition...
	second, I am fairly elusive on intonation, partly because I
don't know how to deal with it. In quite a number of languages, a
combination of two nominals in a particular construction type is
accompanied by various tone process. Would we still want to call
these cases instances of juxtaposition?

Extremely grateful for any assistance,

Maria Koptjevskaja-Tamm
Dept. of linguistics						Vaesterled 166
Stockholm University, 106 91, Stockholm	, Sweden
	167 72, Bromma, Sweden
+46-8-16 26 20						+46-8-26 90 91
http://www.ling.su.se/staff/tamm