Reflexives as subjects?

Miriam.Butt at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE Miriam.Butt at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Fri Feb 18 10:56:34 UTC 2000

Balthasar Bickel wrote:

> South Asian languages usually allow reflexives controlled by agents in
> the passive (especially in the 'ability' passive); see Lust et al.
> [eds.] "Lexical Anaphors and Pronouns in Selected South Asian Languages"
> Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter 2000. A close parallel to the German case
> would be the following Gujarati example (Mistry, p. 352):

I would maintain that the `ability-passive' in Hindi/Urdu is not a passive
but in fact a complex predicate formed with the light verb `go'.  There
are some indications that the instrumental agent in this case should be
analyzed as a subject.  See

    http://www.ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/butt/index.html

for an extensive handout on

   Aspectual Complex Predicates, Passives and Disposition/Ability

which includes an examination of a dispositional semantics (English
example of the type of semantics involved: `My pet toad will eat flies.'
(taken from Lawler)) that this and another similar construction carry,
which are not usually associated with passives.

Some private discussion with Tara Mohanan, who has very carefully worked
out a list of subject tests for Hindi (Mohanan 1994), has confirmed my
initial idea that the instrumental agents are indeed subjects.

> Raaj-thi potaane  naa vakhaaNaayo
> R-INSTR  REFL:DAT not praised:PASS
> 'Raaj could not praise himself'
>
> This is yet another instance of what seems to be a subject reflexive.
> (The reflexive here is in the dative/accusative case, but this is a
> general possibility of passive subjects in Indo-Aryan.)

I don't know very much about Marathi, on the other hand, but I don't
see why the reflexive here has to be a subject.  Why not the
instrumental?  Judging from the gloss, which carries a kind of modal
meaning, this could also be a different kind of construction that
just looks like a run-of-the-mill passive at first glance.

In any case, I don't think this Gujarati example is a close parallel to
the constructions Frans was inquiring about:  Gujarati and Hindi/Urdu have
no expletives, which is precisely what makes those German examples
so hard to grasp.

Miriam

Miriam Butt			Tel: +49-(0)7531 88 29 28
Universitaet Konstanz		Fax: +49-(0)7531 88 30 95
FG Sprachwissenschaft           miriam.butt at uni-konstanz.de
Fach D186
78457 Konstanz
Germany