"tsk tsk": clicks in non-click lgs

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Thu Apr 5 07:59:03 UTC 2001

Dear David,

In Finnish the click used is dental/alveolar, not lateral. The meaning is
negative affect like in English.

Sometimes you see it written "tsot-tsot", or even pronounced like this, i.e. not
as a click anymore. It then seems to have specialized as some kind of a weak
negative imperative, a disapproval of something somebody is just doing or has
just done.

Best,
Matti