deontic "will"

Enrique L. Palancar Vizcaya epalancar at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 8 14:49:28 UTC 2001

Dear Volker,

It is exciting what you say about "lavado" in (1)

(1) Este carro quiere lavado.

as being really a past participle in Chiapanec Spanish, translatable as
"This car wants washed". In the rest of the republic the form works as a
noun: "un lavado" 'a washing´, "un engrasado" ´an oiling', "un pulido" 'a
polishing', etc., so (4) is perfectly fine for me and for anybody north of
Chiapas, although dialects would differ in the choice of the verb, and
"necesitar" 'need' as in (5) is for sure more natural and common in these
other areas (I don´t know Oaxaca and Yucatan):

>(3) Este carro quiere una lavada. "This car needs a washing."
>(4) Este carro quiere un lavado.
>(5) Este carro necesita un lavado.

Actually, (5) can have some sexual connotations I'm not goint to get into. I
have asumed that the Chiapanec construction was the same but with the
elision of the article, but it might well reveal what you say, it is that I
still not see compelling evidence. As for the evidence of (1) and (2)
agreeing in number and gender, I don´t quite still see why these are not
nouns, they would not be of course if you could not say (3) or (4) in
Chiapanec, I believe you can, but it would be so nice to see:

>(1) Este carro quiere lavado.
>(2) Esta casa quiere pintada.
(3) Estos carros quieren lavado
(4) Estas casas quieren pintada