associative plurals

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Tue Aug 28 13:57:00 UTC 2001

Associative duals and plurals in early Scandinavian:

In Old Norse a noun (almost always a proper name) could be placed in
apposition to a 1/2 dual pronoun or a 3 plural pronoun to give something
like what Edith refers to. From Heusler, Altislaendisches Elementarbuch,
para 395:

(1) erom vit Gunnarr nu' sa'tter "wir beide, (ich und) G., sind nun
versoehnt"

(2) si'than flutto their okr mo'thor mi'na higat "dann schafften sie uns
beide, (mich und) meine Mutter, hierher"

(3) thar sagthe hann fra' okr O'lafe digra "da erzaehlte er von uns beiden,
(mir und) Olaf dem dicken"

While not exactly the same as the Associative Plural described by Edith,
the construction can come quite close to it. E. V. Gordon in his
Introduction to Old Norse (p. 312) mentions examples like the following:

(4) their Gri'mr ok Helgi

which can be translated either as "Grim and Helgi" OR "Grim and Helgi AND
THEIR MEN". If there is only one name, the resemblance is even closer:

(5) their Gizurr "Gizurr AND HIS PARTY"

and from Heusler (para 404):

(6) klae'the brunno af theim Hro'lfe "die Kleider brannten von (an) Hrolfr
UND SEINEN MANNEN"

(7) thau A'stri'thr ho,ftho thar dualzk litla hri'th "A'. UND IHR GEFOLGE
hatten dort kurze Weile verweilt." (thau "they" is here actually a neuter
plural, because there are mixed genders, Astrithr being feminine)

The Old Norse/Old Icelandic examples might be interesting in that the
"associative" construction is (a) not morphological, being a syntagm of
pronoun and name, and (b) an extension of an appositional use. In fact
Gordon refers to the associative (e.g. their Gizurr "G and his party",
theim Hro'lfe "Hrolfr und seinen Mannen") as "partial apposition", in
contrast to the type okr mo'thor mi'na "mich und meine Mutter [uns meine
Mutter)" which he calls "complete apposition". One might say "exhaustive
apposition" here.

Is it possible that limiting the inquiry to strictly morphological
associatives might result in some loss of insight into the nature of the
construction?

- Paul Hopper

(v'=acute accent for long vowel, th=thorn, ae=ash, o,=open o)

--On Tuesday, August 14, 2001 1:50 PM -0500 Edith A Moravcsik