re interrogative verbs + interrogative relators + indefiniteordinals

Matthew Dryer dryer at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Mar 28 20:31:24 UTC 2001

>>But let me try and salvage something of the intuition behind the
>>conjecture.  In response to a question such as "Which book did you
>>read?"  you could answer "This book" (thereby seemingly replacing
>>"which" with "this"), but also "War and Peace", or "The book that John
>>gave me yesterday", and so forth.
>>
>>So perhaps what licenses "which" in English is that the set of possible

This response of David's is a reasonable one and one that I anticipated.

>>And likewise for "how many", even in
>>languages that have a finite and small set of lexical quantifiers.

But I DON'T think that this case is analogous to the preceding one.  While
any expression denoting a book is an appropriate response to a "which book"
question, the only appropriate responses to "how many books" is a numeric
expression (or a numeric expression followed by the word for "books"),
which in a language with a finite number of numeric expressions will be a
finite number of responses.  (It is true that in English a possible
response might be something like "more than you could possibly imagine" and
there is no limit to the set of responses of this sort, but I'm not sure
how common this is, and it's not clear that there are not always an
unlimited number of possible answers of this sort to any conceivable
question.)

Matthew Dryer