Person and Number morphemes

Daniel Abondolo abondolo at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Nov 4 11:11:34 UTC 2001

In many Uralic languages the morphemes encoding person and number agreement
are to this day close to transparently separate (and many of the portmanteau
suffixes may be reconstructed as the result of fusion of subsequent and
separate morphemes, e.g. Hungarian <vagyunk> 'we are' from earlier
*[woD-m-uk], with [-m-] first person and [-uk] plural).

It is a question of the degree of morphonological analysis the investigator
is willing to countenance. For example, the preterite paradigm of Udmurt
myny- 'go' (<y> = hi back unrounded vowel),

s1 myni
s2 mynid
s3 myniz
p1 mynimy
p2 mynidy
p3 mynizy

can easily be analysed as

s1 myn-i-m m> myni
s2 myn-i-d
s3 myn-i-z
p1 myn-i-m-y
p2 myn-i-d-y
p3 myn-i-z-y

wherein -i- = preterite, -m/-d/-z = 1st/2nd/3rd person subject, and -y =
plural (subject). The only cost is a morpheme-sensitive rule which converts
word-final  m to zero; the cost is mitigated by the usefulness of the rule
elsewhere in the grammar, in both the verbal and noun paradigms.

Because so much person-and-number marking in proto-Uralic and the subsequent
daughter proto-languuges can be reconstructed as agglutinative, it is not
surprising that parallel synchronic analyses are conceivable for parts of
the verb paradigms of Mansi, Mordva, and Mari, as well as for person-marked
forms of nouns in Mordva and Saamic. In the case of Saamic languages, to
take an admittedly extreme example, one might reckon with separate
(possessor) person morphemes  1st/2nd/3rd -mA/-tA/-se and number
morphemes -0/-n/-k (or -t, depending on the language). I think that whether
one entertains these as examples of what Jordan Lachler is referring to
depends on the degree to which one is willing to invoke allomorphy and/or
rich morphonological alternations.

Best

Daniel Abondolo