Query on Ergatives in South America and New Guinea

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Nov 4 16:20:29 UTC 2001

Another very late answer to Enrique Palancar's query on ergatives.

The ergative is marked on pronouns and nouns in the Chibchan language
Uwa (aka Tunebo, U'wa, Uw Cuwa), spoken on the borders of Colombia
and Venezuela, north and east of the Sierra Nevada del Cocuy.

The ergative-marker is the suffix -t.

It appears (to me at least) to be derived from the morph at- "hand".

The instrumental is marked with the postpositions kuitara or -kut
e.g.
baxit kuitara takinro "I shall cut it with a machete"
at kut kakaro "It is gathered by hand."

In the closely related Chibcha language (well documented, but died
out in the 18th cent.), spoken to the south-east of Uwa, there is no
sign of an ergative construction. However, the word for hand in that
language is "yta", where the first vowel "y" is probably a high
schwa, or back unrounded vowel, and yta-c is a postposition used to
mean "because of".

Choc yta-c aquynza-c ze-gasqua. I become tired as a result of work.
work hand-at inactive-at I-become

Confirmation of these data to be found in:

Gonz‡lez de PŽrez, M.S. (1987). 'Diccionario y Gram‡tica Chibcha' -
MS an—nimo de la Biblioteca Nacional de Colombia. Bogot‡, Instituto
Caro y Cuervo.

Headland, Edna Romayne (1997). Diccionario Bilingue. Uw Cuwa (Tunebo)
y Espa–ol. Instituto LingŸ’stico del Verano. Bogot‡.