temperature terms

Edith A Moravcsik edith at CSD.UWM.EDU
Wed Sep 26 17:16:24 UTC 2001

Yes, Daniel is right! In English or German, if you say "It is
warm." ("Es ist warm.") it is ambiguous between a specific neuter thing
being warm (to the feel) or the weather being warm. In Hungarian, there is
no such ambiguity:

   (Ez) meleg. "(that) warm"  means 'That/it is warm.' in reference to a
               specific object
   Meleg van.  "warm is" means 'The weather is warm.'

The same distinction also applies to the color terms for 'red', 'yellow',
and 'green'. If these describe a specific object, there is no copula; for
example:

   (Ez) piros. "(that) red" 'That/it is red.'

But if reference is to the traffic light, there is a copula:

   Piros van. "red is" 'The traffic light is red.'

(I think there is a similar phenomenon in German. Can't you say "Rot ist."
in reference to the traffic light?)

By the way, I have found one temperature term in Hungarian which I believe
cannot be used for tactile heat but only for radiated heat, such as
coming from the sun or from fire. The term is _perzselo"_ (accent mark
belongs on the preceding vowel), which is the present active participle of
the verb _perzsel_ 'to scorch' or 'to parch'.

Edith Moravcsik

			 E-mail: edith at uwm.edu