Corrected CFP: Approaches to Historical Syntax

Seppo Kittilä sepkit at UTU.FI
Mon Apr 22 04:14:49 UTC 2002

Apologies for multiple postings

CORRECTED CALL FOR PAPERS (with web addresses that were missing in the
first call).

The Linguistic Association of Finland is organizing a symposium on

APPROACHES TO HISTORICAL SYNTAX

to be held at the University of Joensuu Mekrijärvi Research Station,
September 19-22, 2002.

The symposium will bring together scholars interested in problems relating
to historical syntax. We invite papers and posters dealing with particular
language(s) as well as papers taking a crosslinguistic perspective.
Suggested themes include changes in argument structure, grammaticalization
in historical syntax, and the role of corpora and quantitative analysis in
the study of historical syntax. Other topics relating to historical syntax
are also welcome.

Invited speakers:
* Alice C. Harris (Vanderbilt University)
* Anthony Warner (University of York)

Activities:
* lectures by invited speakers
* presentations by other participants (20 min + 10 min for discussion)
* poster session

Abstracts:
The deadline for submission of abstracts (in English; max 500 words) is
May 30, 2002. Please indicate on the abstract whether your presentation is
intended as a paper or a poster. Please submit your abstract by e-mail to
the following address: <mekri-organizers at utu.fi>. The abstract should be
included in the body of the message. E-mail submissions are strongly
recommended. If, however, you send your abstract by ordinary mail, please
provide an e-mail address as a contact address.

Participants will be notified about acceptance by June 14, 2002. The
accepted abstracts will be published on the web page of the symposium
<http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/mekri.html>.

Registration:
The deadline for registration for all participants is June 30, 2002.
Register by e-mail to the address <mekri-organizers at utu.fi>.

Registration fees:
* general: EUR 40
* members of the association: EUR 20
* undergraduate and MA students free
Send your payment by giro account no 800013-1424850 to The Linguistic
Association of Finland (SKY)/Symposium. For participants coming from
abroad we recommend payment in cash upon arrival. However, it is possible
to pay via Eurogiro or SWIFT to our account (International Bank Account
Number FI808000131424850) with Sampo Bank plc, Helsinki, Finland.
SWIFT-address: PSPBFIHH; Telex 121 698 pgiro sf.

Location:
The symposium takes place at the University of Joensuu Mekrijärvi Research
Station in North Karelia, close to the Russian border. For more
information about the Mekrijärvi Research Station and its surroundings,
please visit the Station's web pages
<http://www.joensuu.fi/mekri/mekri.htm>. Transportation from Joensuu to
Mekrijärvi and back will be arranged by the organizers.

Accommodation:
An accommodation fee of EUR 117 will cover 3 nights' full board and
lodging at Mekrijärvi from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon
(accommodation fee to be paid upon arrival). The academic programme of the
symposium will run from Friday morning till Sunday afternoon.

For further information, please visit our web pages
<http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/mekri.html> or
contact the organizers <mekri-organizers at utu.fi>.

The organizing committee:

Juhani Klemola (chair), Department of English, P.O. Box 4, FIN-00014
University of Helsinki, Finland, e-mail: Juhani.Klemola at Helsinki.fi
and
Pentti Haddington (English, U of Oulu), pentti.haddington at oulu.fi
Arja Hamari (Finno-Ugric languages, U of Turku), arja.hamari at utu.fi
Seppo Kittilä (General Linguistics, U of Turku), seppo.kittila at utu.fi
Leena Kolehmainen (German, U of Helsinki), leena.kolehmainen at helsinki.fi
Marja Nenonen (General Linguistics, U of Joensuu),
marja.nenonen at joensuu.fi
Esa Penttilä (English, U of Joensuu), esa.penttila at joensuu.fi
Heli Pitkänen (English, U of Joensuu), heli.pitkanen at joensuu.fi
Marja Pälsi (General Linguistics, U of Helsinki),
marja.palsi at ling.helsinki.fi
Jouni Rostila (German, U of Tampere), jouni.rostila at uta.fi
Jari Sivonen (Finnish, U of Oulu), jari.sivonen at oulu.fi