Double absolutives?

Ashild Naess A.Naess at LET.KUN.NL
Mon Mar 11 15:49:00 UTC 2002

Dear typologists,

there are languages which show so-called double-nominative marking with
certain verbs, that is, they mark both arguments of a bivalent verb with
the nominative case, such as in the following examples from Korean and
Japanese (data from Shibatani 1982):

(1) Korean: Nae-ka ai-ka 	kwiyetta
	        I-NOM child-NOM	like
		"I  like the child"

(2) Japanese: Taroo ga Hanako ga sukida
		T.   NOM  H.    NOM like
		"Taro likes Hanako"

There also appears to be some split-intransitive languages where some verbs
can take agentive or patientive marking on both arguments (see e.g. Mithun
1991).

My question is, does anyone know of any ergative languages where there are
verbs which take double absolutive marking - that is, where both arguments
of a bivalent verb is in the absolutive case? If so, with which verbs does
it occur? Seeing that this type of double marking crops up mainly with
"like" and other experiencer verbs in other languages, one might expect to
find double absolutive marking on verbs of this type in some ergative
languages. Do you know if this actually happens anywhere? I'll summarise
any interesting results for the list.

Yours,

Åshild Næss

University of Nijmegen