Negative SOV Word Order - any parallels or ?

Matti Miestamo matmies at LING.HELSINKI.FI
Thu May 2 16:18:12 UTC 2002

Dear Larry,

In my study of structural differences between affirmatives and negatives
I have come across a few languages where word order is somehow affected.
Not all of these cases are directly relevant to your question, but the
following might be of interest (in addition to the Kru languages that
you know more about).

In Southern Surma languages, the word order found in affirmatives is VSO
(in Murle) or SVO (in Me'en and Mursi), but in negatives we get SVO in
Murle (where the shift is optional) and SOV in Mursi and Me'en (see
Unseth, P. 1986. Word order shift in negative sentences of Surma
languages. Afrikanistische Arbeitspapiere 5:135-143). According to
Unseth, the word order shift is related to the origin of the negative
element as a verb.

In Bafut (Bantu), a change from SVO to SOV also occurs (see Chumbow, B.
& P. Tamanji. 1994. Bafut. In P. Kahrel & R. van den Berg, ed.,
Typological studies in negation. Amsterdam: Benjamins, 211-236).

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about what's going on in
Legbo. It sounds highly relevant to what I'm studying right now.

Best Wishes,
Matti

Matti Miestamo
University of Helsinki