Extent vs. Number

Greville G. Corbett g.corbett at SURREY.AC.UK
Fri Sep 20 20:51:42 UTC 2002

There are various languages which might be thought of as using number
morphology to mark extent, as in the 'greater numbers' of languages
like Banyun, Fula and so on (Corbett 2000: 30-35), and in 'plurals of
abundance' (2000: 238-239). However, this is as part of a number
system, not 'rather than' number.

details in: Number, Cambridge University Press, 2000.

Best
Greville G. Corbett

Surrey Morphology Group
University of Surrey