"Frustratives"

Ashild Naess A.Naess at LET.KUN.NL
Mon Sep 30 09:50:47 UTC 2002

Dear colleagues,

it appears that in a number of languages, subject arguments take some sort
of non-canonical case-marking if the subject in question is unable to or
prevented from performing the act he sets out to perform. Thus, in the
following Hindi sentence (Wunderlich & Lakämper 2001/Mohanan 1994) the
subject takes instrumental case:

Ravii-se    Raam-ko   piittaa     nahññ gayaa
Ravi-INST Ram-ACC beat.PERF not go.PERF
'Ravi couldn't (bring himself to) beat Ram.'

Which other languages are you aware of that show similar case-marking
patterns? I'd appreciate any examples or references.
Also, has anyone got a good suggestion for a name for this phenomenon? I
have tentatively labelled such constructions 'frustratives', but this term
seems to be more commonly used for a  mood category. Is there any other
term in use for constructions such as the above, or can you think of a good
one? Specifically, I'd like to come up with a good term for the argument in
question - an agent prevented from acting, or something of that sort.

Thanks in advance,

Åshild Næss

University of Nijmegen
Erasmusplein 1