Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at RICE.EDU
Thu Apr 17 22:35:22 UTC 2003

Even the most reasonable functional features are not always
perfectly general.

I have always wondered why, in 19th century British fiction,
one sibling speaking to another will regularly refer to "my father"
or "my mother" (in cases where they
both have the same set of parents, and are not
step-siblings).  Same with cousins, who refer in talking
to each other to "my aunt"
and "my uncle" even though both interlocutors have the
same relationship to the person spoken of.
It certainly sounds odd from the standpoint of
my own intuitions. It sounds to modern ears like the speaker wants to
exclude the sibling/cousin they are talking to from the
relationship. But there is nothing in the context
to suggest this; it seems to have been a normal
mode of reference.

Suzanne