Dan Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Fri Apr 18 14:12:47 UTC 2003

Paul is certainly right about this. Teknonymy is quite common and the
examples from Aikhenvald are indeed common throughout the Amazon and
elsewhere.

Best,

Dan

Dan Everett
Professor of Phonetics and Phonology
Department of Linguistics
Arts Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
M13 9PL
Manchester, UK
dan.everett at man.ac.uk
Phone: 44-161-275-3158
Dept. Fax and Phone: 44-161-275-3187
http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/info/staff/de

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]
On Behalf Of Paul Hopper
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 2:18 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Summary: number in personal pronouns

It may be just a bit off topic, but this discussion leads into
"teknonymy", identifying adults by the names of their children (e.g. in
Malay a woman might be referred to as Mak Fatima, "Fatima's Mum", and
this would be her principal designation in the community.) It's common
in Malay and related languages, also in Temiar and other indigenous
languages in that area. There's quite a bit of literature on this.

Paul

Paul Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of the Humanities Department of
English College of Humanities and Social Sciences Carnegie Mellon
University Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA Telephone (412) 268-7174 Fax (412)
268-7989

--On Friday, April 18, 2003 9:53 AM +0400 Nina Dobrushina or Michael