iteratives

Jan Terje Faarlund j.t.faarlund at INL.UIO.NO
Mon Aug 18 12:56:45 UTC 2003

In Zoque there is a verbal suffix -ket, which is used to denote a single
repetion ('do it again'). I gloss this as REP (=repetitive).

Jan Terje Faarlund

At 12:55 18.08.2003 +0100, nbvint at NESSIE.MCC.AC.UK wrote:
>I'm posting this query on behalf of my colleague Mair Parry at the
>University of Bristol and I'd be grateful if any replies could be
>copied to her (m.m.parry at bristol.ac.uk) since she is not a member of
>this list. The query arose because in a paper she gave at the recent
>Historical Linguistics conference in Copenhagen she referred to
>constructions which convey the meaning 'do something and do it again'
>as  iterative. The point was made in discussion that iteratives
>typically allow for several repetitions of an action, and thus the
>question arose as to what is the appropriate term (if any) for a
>construction which refers to an action being done and then repeated
>on one occasion only. Any terminological suggestions or references to
>discussion of this issue in the literature would be welcome. Thank
>you.
>
>--
>Professor Nigel Vincent
>Department of Linguistics
>University of Manchester
>Manchester
>M13 9PL
>UK
>Phone:  +44-(0)161-275-3194
>Fax:    +44-(0)161-275-3187
>Email:  nigel.vincent at man.ac.uk
>http://lings.ln.man.ac.uk/

Professor Jan Terje Faarlund
Universitetet i Oslo
Institutt for nordistikk og litteraturvitskap
Postboks 1013 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo (Norway)

Tel. (+47) 22 85 69 49 (office)
      (+47) 22 12 39 66 (home)