inflected postpositions, stranded postpositions

Richard Valovics ricsi at MAIL1.STOFANET.DK
Sun Dec 7 16:55:27 UTC 2003

Dear Steve,

Hungarian is one such language. Most postpositions,
namely those that take their complement in the
nominative, (and for that matter also most case
suffixes) are inflected for person and number. For this
reason, the complement can often be left out: alatt-am
(under me), alatt-ad (under you), alatt-a (under
him/her/it), alatt-unk (under us), etc.
Two remarks may be important. Hungarian postpositions
indeed derive from nouns. And when the complement is an
explicit noun, the postpositions are not inflected in
the modern standard language: Péter alatt (under Peter).
Though, in archaic style and possibly in dialects it is
possible: Péter-nek alatt-a. (-nek is the dative, which
case is often used to mark the possessor.)
I don't know of cases of stranded postpositions in
Hungarian.
Best regards
Richard