WHAT vs. WHO

Michael Noonan noonan at CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Mar 6 19:00:35 UTC 2003

One thing you might consider in thinking about this problem is that many
languages show a common root in forms for 'who' and 'what', e.g. IE *kw-,
Western Nilotic *ng-, Kannada yaa-, etc.  This implies that who/what forms
derive from something like 'what person' and 'what thing'.  And while
this, in itself, doesn't necessarily imply a stage where there were no
dedicated 'who' and 'what' forms, it makes the existence of such a stage
at least plausible.

Mickey Noonan

Michael Noonan                  Professor of Linguistics
Dept. of English                Office:   414-229-4539
University of Wisconsin         Fax:      414-229-2643
Milwaukee, WI  53201            Messages: 414-229-4511
USA                             Webpage:  http://www.uwm.edu/~noonan