R: language shift

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Fri Mar 21 12:14:38 UTC 2003

Dear Tasaku,
the question  you are asking would require a long answer; maybe a book...
The first point is: what do we mean by 'more complex language' and 'simpler
language'?
The drift toward simplicity has been advocated also in the diachronic
development of a single linguistic tradition: but is, e.g.,  Modern Greek
'simpler' (i.e. more regular and therefore with easy predictable
morphological morphemes) than Ancient Greek? If one thinks of the verbal
system  the answer is certainly 'no'. The same holds for the Romance
languages when compared with Latin. A complex construction such as _Qu'est
ce que c'est (que)_ didn't exist in Classical Latin!
And as far as Scottish Gaelic is concerned: is the phonemic system of
English really simpler than that of Scott.Gael.? I would like to quote a
statement by Vennemann (1989:14):" In any system of sufficient complexity,
any ameliorative  move may have bad consequences, improvement in such a
system can only be improvement on a given parameter of
evaluation",Vennemann, Theo. 1989. "Language change as language improvement"
. In: Modelli esplicativi della diacronia linguistica. Atti del Conv. della
Soc. Ital. di Glottol., a c. di V. Orioles. Giardini, Pisa: 11-35.
If this is true the concepts of simplicity and complexity have to be
relativized. For instance, the simplification/optimization of the syllable
structure may have 'bad' consequences for the morphology; and the
development of the aspectual system we find in many creoles may make the
grammar of these languages more complex.

Best regards,
Paolo