plurally possessed items

Nina Dobrushina or Michael Daniel daniel at QUB.COM
Wed Mar 26 20:23:13 UTC 2003

Dear all,

As Bernard answers to the yesterday's number query directly  the list, and as my
answer sent yesterday to the query-er goes much in the same line, I will quote it
here. The topic is of greatest interest to me, so I hope to benefit from the
discussion and to get some additional empyrical data.

Two more points - my speculation does not explain plural possession on 'friend', or
requires an additional speculation about the cultural background. Second, Bernard is
right in that sometimes 'my country' sounds queer even in European, but this
constraint does not seem to me to be as strong as saying 'my/your children' instead
of 'our children' speaking to ones wife. Also, it is true that in most native texts I
dealt with one says 'our village', not 'my village' - for instance in Bagvalal - but
I did not check whether it was obligatory (as it seems it is in Tsez) or simply
preferred.

Michael Daniel